Tuesday, 1 January 2013

2013: The year of discovery, love, and happiness?

"What we are today comes from our thoughts of yesterday, and our present thoughts build our life of tomorrow: Our life is the creation of our mind."
 - Buddha

As I was sipping my Disaronno and coke last night (the drink of the god's might I add), couples snuggling in the corner, friends laughing together, the hum of people singing coming from one of the other rooms in the pub, I found myself feeling a little alone. Grabbing my phone and having a quick mooch on Twitter I found myself coming face to face with a lovely quote by Brad Paisley which goes, “tomorrow is the first blank page of a 365 page book. Write a good one”. It really put a smile on my face and I started having a little think about 2012, my resolutions for that year (and whether I really kept them - easy answer, no I did not), and what I really need to change for this year. My year.

2012 really was a bit of a rollercoaster year. I was handling all sorts from relationships, friendships, money problems, family problems, stress, university problems, and my own health. I find that the end of a year and the start of another often brings with it a degree of uncertainty that can be ultimately terrifying. As I've said in earlier posts, I'm not exactly the best person coping with uncertainty so here's where I can turn around, say I'm going to try my best, and grasp life by the horns. 

I'm not going to sit here and twaddle on about how I'm going to do x, y, and z in the New Year because New Years Resolutions are made to be broken, aren't they? They always say that the first two weeks of January are the busiest in the gym and then afterwards the numbers start depleting. I also don't really agree with waiting until the New Year to make those vital changes. If something is so important to you you'll start doing it now, not in a few days/weeks/months time.

I've already stated in another post here (click to see it) that I need to make a few adjustments in my life. I appreciate that and whilst it has all been a little hectic these past few weeks for various reasons I feel like I've progressed somewhat. I've been out and about, I've been working, I've been laughing and smiling, I've stopped the tears, I'm happy with my body, and I know what I want to do. I've been looking forward and I'm going to keep on going. My journey is only just beginning.

I'm going to see the world. I'm 22 years old, I'm too young to get tied to one place. I need to pursue my dreams of saving the oceans and saving our coasts, but I need to work harder at making myself happy. Life is too short. So, it's with that that I make my only New Year's resolution, and that's to make 2013 the best year ever. The start of my new life. The year of discovery, love, and happiness.

(L-R) NYE outfit, mothership & I, Bethan & I, my mother's NYE outfit.



4 comments:

  1. That's a wonderful resolution! And I love the top you have on in that photo x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year! Hope it's filled with laughter, fun and friendship xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Life is a journey. A month is merely a junction, and a new year is your cross roads. Any road you choose will lead you to where you want to go eventually (all roads lead to Rome) but some will take you longer than others and will have may twists and turns. Enjoy exploring them and don't worry about getting lost. The map of life will put you back on the right track xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the follow on Twitter. Our blog names are so similar I can't now follow you, I've been reading a few of your posts, and really hope 2013 is a good year for you x

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking....?